How often your septic tank needs emptying can be hard to gauge – it depends on things like how big your tank is, how many people use your toilet/s, whether you use a lot of cleaning products that may affect the good bacteria in your tank and more.
But there are a few telltale signs you can look out for:
- You can’t remember it being emptied and you’ve lived there 3 years or more
- You notice damp spots in your backyard/property
- You can smell septic odours — in your home, above the tank or from the vent pipe
- Drains in your home are slow to drain
- You suspect something other than human waste or toilet paper has been flushed down the toilet
Some septic tank manufacturers require you to empty your tank every six months as part of your warranty so it pays to check.
If you’re in the West Auckland area and need a septic tank empty, please contact our friendly team or find out more HERE.