At HydroVac we’re always looking at ways we can do things more sustainably, to improve our carbon footprint and lessen our impact on the environment.
We’re constantly innovating our practices, procedures and equipment to find more sustainable options for our operations. Our efforts to be more sustainable include:
- Creating NZ’s first recycling plant for our waste disposal (more on that below)
- Being among the first to bring air-X trucks into NZ. Using the very latest in German technology, these trucks use air instead of water to excavate, which has many eco-friendly benefits such as excavated material remains dry, giving the option to reuse the material on-site; water isn’t used for the excavation, saving this precious resource; less material needs to be disposed of at the end; it reduces noise pollution
- 50% of the trucks in our fleet are Euro 5 spec; the remaining are Euro 4 or less. These specs are focused on cleaning up emissions from diesel cars, especially reducing particulate matter (PM) and oxides of nitrogen (NOx).
- We have another seven Euro 5 vehicles being commissioned between January and September 2022
- To also assist in fuel and energy savings, we employ the use of onboard monitoring systems which assess speeding, harsh acceleration, harsh braking and fuel efficiency
- All vehicles are regularly maintained and serviced to reduce greenhouse gas emissions around fuel burn, tyre wear, replacement parts etc
- We choose environmentally friendly options for our office where possible, including turning used printer paper into notebooks for internal use and recycling toners and un-usable paper. We also choose to use eco-friendly products such as Ecostore dishwashing liquid and hand sanitisers in all trucks.
Our Custom Recycling Plant
Our new recycling plant offers an environmental and sustainable method of waste disposal. Waste from jobs is put through a process that sees it separated into rock, metal, sand, mud and water — these valuable by-products are all recycled and used for other means including drainage works, roading and landscaping. The recycled water is then reused to supply our hydrovac trucks.
How it works:
The recycling plant is capable of processing between 100m3 and 150m3 of product per day. Disposal costs are comparable with clearfill disposal — meaning your site waste is disposed of in a responsible and sustainable way at no additional cost to you.
Our aims with this recycling plant:
- Divert waste from landfill
- Ensure an ethical, sustainable disposal method for clients
- Reduce time wasted at drop-off and refill
- Turn the waste into useful by-products that can be re-used
We are the only hydrovac company that has our own custom-build recycling plant for waste — in fact, this is the only one we know of NZ.
At HydroVac we are committed to developing more sustainable options and operations where possible, for a cleaner, greener New Zealand future.